CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

08 October 2008

a purge, a transition, another beginning

i hate packing. i'm not the most effective at it, and i am inexorably inefficient about unpacking. it generally takes me months for the latter. usually because i did the former in a matter of hours.

I've been home for... almost 4 months. I still have as many full boxes in the garage as when i first came back. Not completely my fault!
Over the last few years, my bedroom has become somewhat of an "organic" storage room. my parentals have a storage room where they keep food storage, holiday deco, etc.
but if they had a box of grandkid stuff, or maybe books... cleaned out a closet in an upstairs bedroom... a mattress...
THAT found its way to my room.

not to mention everything which i haven't thrown away over the years. Pack rat is in my RNA (i refuse to believe it's in my DNA). good thing that i believe we can change our DNA (so RNA is cake).

purge. I have thrown away so much in the last 4 months. take that on faith when you consider on the stash that remains in the garage.
i found a broken stereo, VCR, and various other electronics which someone ambitiously planned to fix. yeah right!! first things to go!

there were many more things, and
boxes of things that i had just felt the need to hold onto...
gone
kept the boxes, though
my little sister took my book shelf, sturdy boxes are a handy substitute.

yesterday i unearthed two ends of the spectrum: stuff from HS--poetry, writingschtuff--and recent notes and spirtual-scholarly articles from BYU classes and church-calling-trappings. (a nice aside: i burned my HS journal. it really was not worth reading. having said that...)
hs, notes, printed articles--anything you can find in a book or online--took the dive into the garbage bag.

this process leaves my teeny room in a state of universal disaster. if i want to sleep in my bed that same night, i have to clean up and re-org mid-purge (like that happens)(HAH!!)
when i had a bigger room, i just tossed it all on the floor. now i use my bed because i do NOT HAVE floor space. it's a queen bed.

There's this idea that someday i will permanently move out of my parents house. I'm not leaving anything, and i am certainly not taking any boxes filled with things not important enough to even open the box. I'm not going to carry around baggage for the rest of my life!!

I WON'T DO IT!!!

so. it's been an interesting journey. i can't just pick up a notebook and throw it away. however, something inside me becomes capable of throwing it away (pack rat RNA, remember) if i thumb through it, first.

THere is something else i've got to share. not that i didn't know this already, but - I am one smart cookie! REally! reading through papers and essays and what-came-to-me-when-i-was supposed-to-be-taking-notes*... brilliant!!

(yeah. i'm that, uh, 'confident.')
so there...

*which is actually more important that taking notes

1 comments:

Megan said...

I need more Amy-Girl in my life :)
Missing you!