CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

28 October 2008

wisdom at the table, prepared and served

I was sitting in a Relief Society Presidency meeting tonight, absorbed in thoughts for my RS sisters. To my right was our pres. Returned missionary and all the good things that implies, has a bachelors degree, 24 years old and getting married at the end of this month.
To my left was our secretary. She's 18 and quiet as a mouse, but i saw her show a high-spirited 16-hand horse who's boss. This was after the horse threw her once.
Across from me was our 2nd counselor. She's 22, a publicity major, sincere ambition and a beautiful heart.
I realized that i was the only at the table that was not overwhelmed, and didn't feel completely clueless. I know Relief Society. The beauty of it, the struggles, the miracles, and the necessary structure. I've been a teacher in the Relief Society, and a teacher improvement teacher. I have been responsible for coordination music, and leading.
what made this all really strike, and take on great meaning was when my sweet little horse trainer told me that she's so glad i didn't marry him, because she wouldn't have met me otherwise.
And now i sit here absorbing the great compliment in her sentiment. also, the great clue from above.
i was so needed at that table, tonight. I have a lot of experience, wisdom, love, etc. to offer. Really, young sisters who have only ever understood Relief Society as it functions in a family ward are missing out on the universal nature--the brilliance and beauty--of this great organization. It isn't just that i've been in student wards for the last 3 years (and a singles branch before that) it is the wards and stake that i've been in. It's the leaders i've had and the leadership opportunities i've had because they understood their leadership. If i were married, i'd be a newly wed in a family ward--if i had a calling at all, it'd probably be in the primary, and i'd be losing my mind. (actually, it'd be in the Young Womens and the other leaders would be losing their minds) BUT
i see how much more i'm needed here. now, in the lives of these sisters.
and i count it a HUGe blessing (and mild annoyance) that there aren't really any "feasible dating options"
i have sisters to love, a great service to do, and amazing people to work with.
life is hard, but we can do hard things.
i was born to do impossible things.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Thank you Amy. I needed that too.

amy said...

amazing how life turns out exactly as it's supposed to